Thursday, February 26, 2009

Darran Rees


Darran Rees, a mural painter who turned to photography, launched his career with a disaster. The government of the United Kingdom hired him to shoot a series of landscape billboards set in a town affected by a disastrous chemical spill. His portraits of the land garnered him national attention, earning Rees his first car commission, from Mercedes. At the time, the portentous event seemed like a fluke. “I had never shot a car before in my life,” Rees says. “But the art director had seen my portraits. He said to me, ‘These are front-on shots of cars in landscapes, but I want to give the cars personality and I want you to do it because I’ve seen your portraits.’” The art director showed good judgment; his then-unknown quantity was recently named one of the 200 Best Ad Photographers Worldwide by Lurzer’s Archive.
Written by T.K. Dalton
Edited by Jesi Khadivi and Zack Seckler
Via Fstop

No comments:

Post a Comment